Saturday, September 9, 2017

Mopac toll road expected to be completed by 2019.

The Mopac toll road is expected be completed by the year 2019. By 2019, construction will have been completed and the toll road will be totally functional by then. Going directions northbound and southbound, Mopac toll road will merge in those regular lanes on Mopac Highway (Loop 1) north of the Colorado River. However due to budget cuts enacted by the Texas State Legislature, construction for the Mopac toll road has been delayed slightly. Thus moving Mopac toll road completion date to 2019.

Construction on Mopac Highway alongside Mopac toll road has been rather moving at a sluggish pace. Progress remains slow as usual. Rain weather from previous months in 2017 have delayed construction for the Mopac toll road as well other factors. May rain weather delayed construction the most. Construction for the Mopac toll road begins at nighttime. News reports that construction on Texas highways and roads move at a rather slow sluggish pace. That is nothing new. The latest Mopac toll road is expected be completed by the year 2020 or at least by 2019 at most.

Plans for former EZ's Brick Oven & Grill restaurant building remain unknown.

EZ's Brick Oven & Grill restaurant burger had closed down in January 2016 after a gas line broke resulting in uncontrollable fire. The fire did $400,000 dollars worth of damage to the restaurant building. It was a total loss. Especially for EZ's Brick Oven & Grill business owners.

It is unknown what the plans are for this building. However Austin CultureMaps has confirmed that the EZ Burger restaurant will be demolished in the near future. However that has not happened as of yet. No plans have been announced publicly as to what will happen to this building. The former EZ Burger restaurant building currently sits abandoned. Only time will tell us what happens next.

Over the course in the timespan of a year, the restaurant building has been graffitied on. Several graffiti taggers have made their mark on this building here. “No Trespassing” signs have been put up all over the restaurant. However the “No Trespassing” signs have not kept away vandals, criminals, vagrants, and taggers. Signs of homelessness and vagrancy have taken place. Trash has been scattered all over. Mail, posters, and paper lay near the door of the front entrance.

Longtime Austinites feel that they have lost an Austin icon. Still many former patrons and unsuspecting customers use their parking lot for patronage as EZ's Brick Oven & Grill is on the same commercial property along with 2 to 3 other businesses in the same commercial complex.

Berg's Mill School history long forgotten.

Berg’s Mill School is one of the many forgotten educational institutions of San Antonio and Bexar County. The Berg’s Mill School was a rural school located way out in the county in San Antonio, Texas. Not much is known about the Berg’s Mill School or its history. Many historians have not covered this school written in books. Many citizens of San Antonio seemed to have forgotten about this school’s existence or its presence.

Berg’s Mill School was constructed believably as a one room schoolhouse in the year of 1896. The one room schoolhouse was probably built as a single story structure. 1896-1897 is the first school year the Berg’s Mill School operated from. By then Berg’s Mill School was considered both as a rural school and a “county school”.  This school was a co-ed school. Most of the pupils were children of Mexican descent.

Student enrollment never went past 100. School attendance boasted a bumbling small population. Despite a small bumbling population of students, attendance seemed not to be very high. School attendance in the 1930s boasted a bumbling population.

Manual training and sewing were taught at this school. Boys were taught manual training while girls were taught sewing. Girls learned sewing at a young age. Girls held an intense interest in sewing.

In 1940, Berg’s Mill School closed. In 1940 when Berg’s Mill School closed, students who attended Berg’s Mill School were transferred and redistricted to Harlandale ISD and Southside ISD. Berg’s Mill School pupils were then transferred to San Juan School (now San Juan Elementary School). Berg’s Mill School closed due to the curbed growth of San Antonio growing southbound. Post World War II growth absorbed the population.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

US President Donald Trump plans to attack Korea.

It’s official! Donald Trump has planned to attack Korea. Donald Trump has declared the US is running out of patience with Korea over its nuclear drive. Trump claims its ballistic missile programs have gotten out of hand. United States calls on other regional powers in other countries from across the globe to implement sanctions against Korea. Sanctions will be employed in a phased and comprehensive approach. He wants all “responsible nations” to join in. So does the US.

Things have gone out of hand. Donald Trump has made attacking Korea a top priority over nearly everything else in politics. He warns that the Korean dictatorship regime “better choose a better path do it quickly”. Russia is ready to do whatever they can to help United States against Korea. Russia is ready to render aid to the United States.

“Today we are facing the threat of the reckless and brutal regime of Korea. The Korean dictatorship has no regard for the safety and security of its people, for its neighbors, no respect for humanity, and has no respect for human life.” said Trump.

Former New Sweden School in Manor, Texas long forgotten.

New Sweden School was built as a one room schoolhouse in the summer of 1916. Classes started in the fall later that same year. Construction for the New Sweden School lasted from summer to fall. Herman Hees and Raymond Hees owned the land.

New Sweden School had its own school district called New Sweden School District (School District No. 22) before being consolidated into Manda School District. New Sweden School and several other schools along with school districts were consolidated to form the Manda Common School District in 1947. The Manda School District was dissolved in 1960 and was divided among Manor ISD, Pflugerville ISD, and Elgin ISD. Most students were bussed to Manor ISD though.

From 1948 to 1985, New Sweden School had served as a church. In 1985, the school building was all but abandoned. Over the years, the former school building fell into a horrendous state of rural decay. Overtime the building burned down from natural wildfire. Top roof perished from the flames. Top roof for this former school is no longer extant. Today the school is surrounded by shrubs, bushes, wild brush, and a slew of trees in the country breeze.

The former New Sweden School was located 7 miles north of Manor, Texas. The address for the New Sweden School was 12178 New Sweden Church Road, Manor, Texas, US 78653.

*New Sweden School District was School District No. 22 better known as District #22.
*New Sweden School and New Sweden School District eventually consolidated into Manor ISD.
*New Sweden School and New Sweden School District was abolished in 1947 even though the building was still in operation.
*Manda School District also went under the title of Manda Common School District.

History about Oak Grove Church in Austin, Texas nearly long forgotten.

Origins for Oak Grove Church date back to 1861 when the building was know as Oak Grove School. Oak Grove Church was the former Oak Grove School that was located on the end of Spicewood Springs Road in Austin, Texas which served as aa rural schoolhouse that had served Travis County and rural Austin from 1861 to 1970. Oak Grove School taught grades 1 through 8 as Oak Grove School was a K-8 school.

In 1970, the former Oak Grove School was converted from a 110 year old schoolhouse into a neo-classical modern church which would become the Oak Grove Church we know today. No known modifications were made to the church.

Over the years, the Oak Grove Church was set on fire several times by vandals. The Oak Grove Church finally burned to the ground on the date of August 31, 1992 after being set on fire several times. Report of arson to the Oak Grove Church had appeared in an August 31, 1992 edition of the Austin American-Statesman newspaper in an article titled “Congregation mourns loss of old church”. Today only a shed, cement foundations, and a basketball court remain. The shed is currently being used for storage.

Now Oak Grove Cemetery was first plotted in 1885. Earliest burial found at this cemetery dates back to the year 1887. Today the cemetery is maintained by the donations of friends and family. Oak Grove Cemetery is private property and off limits to the public.

Oak Grove Church was/is located at 7901 Spicewood Springs Road, Austin, Texas, US 78759. Both the Oak Grove Church and Oak Grove Cemetery are located at this address. Oak Grove Cemetery is now property of Oak Grove Church. Today both Oak Grove Church and Oak Grove Cemetery are private property and are currently off limits to the public.

Friday, August 11, 2017

US President Donald Trump declares war on Korea.

It’s official! As of August 10, 2017, Donald Trump has declared war on Korea. Donald Trump has declared the US is running out of patience with Korea over its nuclear drive. Trump claims its ballistic missile programs have gotten out of hand. United States calls on other regional powers in other countries from across the globe to implement sanctions against Korea. Sanctions will be employed in a phased and comprehensive approach. He wants all “responsible nations” to join in. So does the US.

“Today we are facing the threat of the reckless and brutal regime of Korea. The Korean dictatorship has no regard for the safety and security of its people, for its neighbors, no respect for humanity, and has no respect for human life.” said Trump.

Things have gone out of hand. Donald Trump has made declaring war on Korea a top priority over nearly everything else in politics. He warns that the Korean dictatorship regime “better choose a better path do it quickly”. Russia is ready to do whatever they can to help United States against Korea. Russia is ready to render aid to the United States.

Old Fowler Cemetery uncovered by Austin Genealogical Society and Mixerr Reviews.

The old Fowler Cemetery was plotted in 1875. Most burials took place here in the 1880s. Several Fowler family members were buried here in the late 19th century and early 20th century. B.R. Fowler was the last person known to be buried at the old Fowler Cemetery. His date of death was July 26, 1920. Infant son of B. R. Fowler was buried here during the same year.

In 1985 this cemetery was all but abandoned. Vegetation such as grass took over along with other natural growth. Today in July 2017, the Fowler Cemetery lay under a canopy of trees that have since grown over looming taking a place of shade for the small cemetery.

Austin Genealogical Society had transcribed and transcripted where they did write down the names and dates of these graves for Austin Genealogical Society’s Cemetery Transcription Project during 2003. This information was compiled by volunteers who either transcribed historical records or visited the cemetery. Fowler Cemetery is one of the many Fowler Cemeteries in Travis County with the name "Fowler Cemetery". There are at least 3 cemeteries that carry the name "Fowler Cemetery" within Travis County.

The address is Buck Lane and Highway 71, Del Valle, Texas, US 78617.

City of Lago Vista plans to preserve Cox Springs School building.

City of Lago Vista is currently working on plans to preserve the Cox Springs School building in a better more efficient manner. North Shore Heritage & Cultural Society and former students are working with the City of Lago Vista, City of Jonestown, and Travis County Historical Commission to move the school building onto a permanent location into the city of Lago Vista, Texas.

North Shore Heritage & Cultural Society wants to save this building in an attempt of historic preservation so students of today can see how students who lived in Lago Vista and Jonestown during the early 20th century received their education. Both commissions plan to keep the old school in tact. North Shore Heritage & Cultural Society and former students are working to restore the former school building.

Both the City of Lago Vista and City of Jonestown consider Cox Springs School to be a historical building despite no Texas Historic Landmark marker. Although there is no Texas Historic Landmark marker, a brown metal sign about the school’s history is located behind the school building facing Old Burnet Road. Cox Springs School is one of the oldest buildings in Lago Vista next to the Lago Vista School which is commonly known as “the little red schoolhouse” to local citizens and historians.


Cox Springs School was built in 1908 as a one-room building for Lago Vista Common School District No. 2 better known as Lago Vista Common School District. Cox Springs School was known as Cox Springs School House when the school district first opened this school. Grades 1 through 11 attended this school with Grade 12 eventually being included. Cox Springs School had its own school district called Cox Springs School District (District #2) from 1908 to 1950 before being consolidated into Lago Vista Independent School District.

Originally the Cox Springs School was located closely near the intersection of Lohman Ford Road & Sylvester Ford Road in Lago Vista, Texas from 1908 to 1940. In 1940, the school relocated to Old Burnet Road in Jonestown, Texas in a modern day neighborhood called The Bluffs. Although the Cox Springs School is considered to be in Lago Vista, Texas, the actual location the school building is currently located at is 18842 Old Burnet Road, Jonestown, Texas, US 78645. The alternate address is 18842 Old Burnet Road, Leander, Texas, US 78645.

In 1940, the Cox Springs School building was moved from the intersection of Lohman Ford Road & Sylvester Ford Road in Lago Vista, Texas to Old Burnet Road in Jonestown, Texas. Grade 12 was added in 1949 due to Gilmer-Aiken Law mandated by the State of Texas. More funds went towards the school district that following year. 1950 is when Cox Springs School District was abolished and consolidated into Lago Vista Independent School District (Lago Vista ISD).

In 1960, the last group of students from grades 1st through 12th were moved to Lago Vista School which was known then to Lago Vista citizens and locals as the “the little red schoolhouse” on 7610 Lohman Ford Road. Lago Vista School was a K-12 school then.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Mopac toll road expected to be completed by 2020.

The Mopac toll road is expected be completed by the year 2020. By 2020, construction will have been completed and the toll road will be totally functional by then. Going directions northbound and southbound, Mopac toll road will merge in those regular lanes on Mopac Highway (Loop 1) north of the Colorado River. However due to budget cuts enacted by the Texas State Legislature, construction for the Mopac toll road has been delayed slightly. Thus moving Mopac toll road completion date to 2020.

Construction on Mopac Highway alongside Mopac toll road has been rather moving at a sluggish pace. Progress remains slow as usual. Rain weather from previous months in 2017 have delayed construction for the Mopac toll road as well other factors. May rain weather delayed construction the most. Construction for the Mopac toll road begins at nighttime. News reports that construction on Texas highways and roads move at a rather slow sluggish pace. That is nothing new. The Mopac toll road is expected be completed by the year 2020.